The Encomienda de Cervera estate was established in around 1758 with the amalgamation of the estates of Hacienda de Cervera, Cañada de Zentinar, Heredad de Villena, Hoya de la Cruz and Coto del Marqués de Cervera.
It was subsequently joined by a fifth estate called Barranco del Puerco, part of the Campo de Calatrava military head quarters, bringing together 1200 hectares of land.
At that time, the estate already had'an olive grove with two thousand three hundred and seventy five olive trees', an olive oil mill, a farmhouse and a poplar grove 'with some ten thousand black and white poplar trees'.
Later, towards the end of the 19th century, records show that there was a 22 hectare vineyard and a wine cellar with a capacity of 200,000 litres.
In the olive grove, 100 hectares of superintensive planting of the Arbequina olive and 28 hectares of isolated plan ting of the Picual olive have been added to the two hun dred year old tradition of pruning the Cornicabra variety to leave 3 scaffold branches.
The olive oil mill, dating from the 18th century, has been adapted to new cold extraction techniques using only mechanical methods, which allow the extraction of the best extra virgin olive oil for each variety.
The old vineyard has been restored and extended to 50 hectares, with new grape varieties such as Cabernet Sau vignon, Syrah, Petit Verdot and Graciano growing along side the traditional Tempranillo.
We have selected the best slopes and altitudes for the growth cycle of each grape variety. Following an exhaus tive soil survey, the most suitable soil for each variety was selected from the volcanic, argillo calcareous and stony soils that are found on the estate.
All the vineyards lie from north to south in a trellis for mation. Irrigation is controlled through a drip irrigation system using humidity sensors at different levels. The care of our vineyards results in a better quality of grape and wine, without compromising identity and tradition.
The winery, which dates from the 19th century, has been restored, expanded and equipped with modern fermentation systems, all with the utmost respect for the environment and with the aim of maximising the quality of our wines.
Our livestock is comprised of 2500 Manchego sheep, which graze freely and extensively in the mountains, valleys and stubble fields of the estate.
Our livestock is among the few to include Black Manchego Sheep, which are in danger of extinction. The sheepfold is equipped with the latest advances, such as individual boxes for lambing, a wet nurse for lambs that have problems nursing, a conveyor belt for distribu ting fodder, a milking room with electronic milk control milking machines, etc.
It also carries out computerised monitoring of each animal, through which all physical and morphological data such as births, lactation and ill nesses are shown. This, together with the advice and support of AGRAMA allows us to carry out continuous and appropriate genetic selection.